GameStop’s shares have taken a hit over the last month or so, but did you know that there is actually an underlying company doing things? Today, GameStop updated its NFT website with a Creator Request Form.
We reported the existence of this GameStop NFT website back in May 2021, but things seem to be picking up steam for a launch soon. NFT’s website at GameStop includes the message “Power to gamers. Power to creators. Power to collectors.” Below the image is a link to an Ethereum based contract address.
Many GameStop (GME) investors believe this new NFT market will be powered by Loopring technology. Loopring highlighted the high speed, security and low costs of its “open source, audited, non-custodial exchange” protocol as a few advantages. Some GameStop investors and traders have also started building positions in Loopring’s cryptocurrency leading up to the planned launch of the NFT market, and it remains to be seen if this is a wise move.
Regarding GameStop’s NFT Marketplace Creator Registration Form, here are the questions asked:
- First of all, what should we call you?
- Cool. Thank you for wanting to participate. What best describes you?
- Freelance artist / creator / game developer / meme lord
- Company / brand / game studio / intellectual property holder
- The third question is based on the answer to question 2.
- Please provide a link to your website or tell us a bit about your organization
- Have you ever created an NFT before?
- The fourth question is based on the answer to question 3.
- Have you ever used an Ethereum wallet?
- Please link to an NFT project that you have previously created.
- What do you have in mind to collaborate with the GameStop NFT marketplace?
- Please provide your email / ethereum address so that we can respond to you
- Impressive. Thank you. Leave your farewell thoughts below, if you wish.
The company hasn’t provided any details on the official GameStop NFT Marketplace launch, but it looks like things are heating up with the website update and the creators being asked to sign up. If GameStop and Loopring succeed in launching a viable competitor to OpenSea with lower transaction fees, that could be a big deal for the cryptocurrency community.
Take a dump in the metaverse. pic.twitter.com/sAb5W4ZBbx
– Ryan Cohen (@ryancohen) December 27, 2021
For people who hate NFTs, this could be another reason to denigrate GameStop. With the masses supporting GameStop’s shareholder movement in 2021, it looks like 2022 is going to feature even more talk around the video game retailer as it continues to move away from physical retail stores into new segments of their industry.
This article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as investment advice. Please consider your own investment horizon, risk tolerance and consult a financial advisor before acting on this information.
At the time of this article, Shacknews main shareholder Asif A. Khan, members of his family and his company Virtue LLC held the following positions:
Long GameStop via GME shares (hedged with out-of-the-money put options)
Long GameStop via GME call options